A view from a roof in Port au Prince


MIA soon to be PAP

We made it safely to Miami! I woke up this morning at 3am, shuffled around the luggage to make each bag under the 50lb limit, and left the house with Gretchen and her wonderful husband Dan as our driver... at 4am! Hours later we arrived in Miami, ate lunch and called our friend Sheila in Haiti to make sure everything is in place to be picked up at the airport this afternoon. What a relief it is to make it to Haiti in one day! I have been to Haiti many times, and often do an overnight layover in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, and let me tell you- it's better to get all the travelling done in one day! Gretchen is a great travel companion. We chatted away on the 3 1/2 hour plane ride to MIA which made time fly. Our descent into MIA was a startling one. We landed on the ground and immediately took off again. We flew higher and higher, back into the clouds. Confusion took over in our minds... the silence of the plane.. why were there no announcements about our false landing? Finally, the captain made an announcement that the landing strip looked bad so he could not land. We flew around in the sky for about 15 more minutes and then safely landed on the ground. Whew!

I coughed up the dough at the airport so that I'd have access to their wifi internet. I'm so happy that I did because I received an email from an orphanage in Kenskoff that I was hoping to be able to visit on this trip. Everything is set in place and we will hopefully visit it tomorrow. I will tell all about it after we visit. There is also a pediatric hospital, called Saint Damien that we have arrangements to tour.

I hate to admit this, but I am craving my third meal of the day and it's only 1pm! I guess that's what happens when breakfast starts at 3am. I am holding out for the mini toblerone bar, cheese spread and crackers that American Airlines gives on each flight to Haiti ;)

I want to say a big THANK YOU! to everyone who supported Gretchen and I and made this trip possible. The garage sales were a big hit and we also had many family members and friends that donated money. Bethel's rock church was also supportive both financially and in prayer. This medical mission trip would not be possible without this help from our supporters! We were able to raise all of the funds we needed. It was such an encouragement to feel the support of friends and family. Please continue to pray for us on this trip, specifically safety and health.

Our flight is now boarding!! I will update once we are in Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment